1.jpg

 

A large greyware vessel was excavated by Navenby Archaeology Group (NAG) in 2013, from a site along what is known as 'High Dyke'. High Dyke follows the path of the old Roman road, Ermine Street, and excavations by the group over several years have revealed some truly exciting evidence of a busy Roman settlement. The vessel excavated in 2013 was remarkable, because it was almost entirely complete - only approximately four small pieces (measuring 4-7mm across on average) were missing. There was evidence of skilled craftsmanship, and a beautiful swirling design around the body, made with a burnisher while the pot was in the 'leather hard' stage of drying. These things could not be truly appreciated while the pot was in pieces though, and so the members of NAG commissioned us to reconstruct it.

 

The Market Harborough needlepoint was created by the University of the Third Age (U3A) to commemorate the millennium by making a permanent 'snapshot' of the town in the year 2000. Between 1997 and 2000, forty-six embroiderers worked on stitching sixty different panels, each carefully chosen to represent a part of life in Market Haborough. All panels were stitched onto a standard needlepoint canvas in wool, before being joined together to create the full needlepoint, which measured 2.9m x 1.6m. The framed piece was unveiled in November 2000, and is now displayed in the Symington Building, Market Harborough.

 

Whilst undertaking volunteer and collections management duties at The Carillon-Loughborough War Memorial Museum, WHConservation's Terri became aware of a fragile textile in need of immediate conservation. The Carillon stands as a memorial to those who lost their lives in The Great War and now also serves as a museum located in the centre of Queen's Park in Loughborough. The textile in question was a Leicestershire Yeomanry 'drum banner' - a small square of silk with a part painted (perhaps part printed) design. 

 

Not all projects a Conservator faces challenge their practical skills as much as others, but this doesn't necessarily make them any less rewarding. This was certainly true of this 2013 project, which involved some of the oldest objects WHConservation have worked on to date. These two silver coins were owned by a private client, who believed them to be Tudor (1485-1603). The brief to WHConservation was to investigate, clean and repackage the coins, which had hitherto been stored together in a simple plastic sleeve.

 

During 2011-2012 Terri of WHConservation was employed by Leicestershire County Council's Museum Service to organise and manage many aspects of a pioneering partnership involving three independent museums in Loughborough; The Great Central Railway; The Carillon War Memorial and The Old Rectory. Each museum was distinct in its own right but all had the collective aim of wanting to improve the organisation, care and maintenance of their collections. Focussed volunteer recruitment, specialised volunteer management, professional training and development and continued support from key partners made this initiative a huge success.

Latest Updates

Testimonials

Claire Birch

Owner, Doddington Hall

 

"Leah showed great professionalism with every aspect of the project at Doddington and she was obviously passionate..."

Read more

Contact Us

7 St John's Avenue

North Hykeham

Lincoln

LN6 8QR

07762 138279

07855 803965

Email us

 

RT @britishmuseum: Tutankhamun’s tomb was discovered #onthisday in 1922. The remarkable find revealed the treasures of a largely intact roy…

Find us on Facebook

All website content © WHConservation, 2017